Thursday, March 17, 2011

Japan Tsunami Tragedy

At the time that when it happened, I didn’t even know about it and not even you my friend. We would have died with the thousands out there and I felt nothing about it. When it happened, all I thought was how I could get enough sleep and my schedule for tomorrow. 
                                              Cars, ships and buildings were swept away by a wall of water after the 8.9-magnitude tremor, which struck about 400km (250 miles) north-east of Tokyo. A state of emergency has been declared at a nuclear power plant, where pressure has exceeded normal levels. Officials say 350 people are dead and about 10,000 missing, and the final death toll will be much higher. My heart goes out, really, to all of those who were affected by this tragedy. Not just the ones who were actually in Japan when this happened, but also to those who have loved ones there. One of the most terrible things I have witnessed in my life. I am not Japanese but I felt the fear and the loss they have felt and they are really going through. I don't know personally anybody who lives in Japan but it pains me to know that the people who were affected by this great tsunami have families, friends and lives. Although this is an immense tragedy for one of the richest countries in the world, I feel lucky that it did not happen in my home country and I hope it never will. Look at what it did to Japan.
                                                          I have seen a lot of comments regarding the Tsunami and the earthquake. Some said it’s “the wrath of God”. Some said that “the world is coming to an end”. Others mentioned “tectonic plates are moving, etc.” and it’s the “2012 starting of ending”. Some even thought, “I wonder how Maria Osawa is doing?” (Right, funny). A lot of people have opinions about what happened. But what about, “I’m just glad I’m alive”? When tragedies like this occur, I just tell myself that it all happens for a reason. If the person who is reading this, was affected by the earthquake or the tsunami in Japan or even if you just know someone there, tell yourself that everything happens for a reason. Honestly, it will help you cope with all that has happened. 
And surely time ,and help from others must let you forget this tragedy someday and Japan will emerge with its new beauty.